to find out how I did!
1. Run a 100 mile race — Done. Bryce 100M is in the books!
2. Run 2,400 miles / Climb 450,000 feet — Done. 2017 Totals = 2,505 miles / 457,400 ft.
3. Conquer the hills — Not Complete. The goal was to PR on the following:
(1) Marincello: Goal = beat 15:41 total or 10:53/mi — best this year = 16:36 total or 11:31/mi
(2) Bobcat: Goal = beat 21:33 total or
10:39/mi — best this year = 23:19 total or 11:31/mi
(3) Regular 12: Goal = beat 1:45:00 total or 9:03/mi — best this year = 1:57:51 total or 10:09/mi
4. Read 52 books (with at least 4 of them off my home shelf) — Done. As of Dec 31st I read 95 books with a total of 33,412 pages which is an average of about 350 pages per book. Also, 6 of them were off of
my own shelf and I gave away 4 of them after I finished them.
5. Bike or Run Commute once a week to work — Done. I ended up with 303 biking miles this year, which is an average of about 5 miles per week. This jives with my goal, as one round trip commute to BART is about 3.5 miles. I have not run commute
even once this year.
6. Try 12 new things — Done. This year, I (#1) drove cross country to WY in one day, (#2) and hiked off trail for over 100 miles in the Wind River Range. I did a solo trip to (#3) Sweden, where I (#4) hiked the 400km+ Kungsleden trail, (#5) ate reindeer sausage, (#6) rowed myself across a lake in a rowboat three times, tested out a new rain jacket, and (#7) tried Swedish beer. I also (#8) went to Bryce National Park, where I (#9) ran 100 miles and then made a quick stop in (#10) Zion on the way home. I visited friends in Brighton Beach where we went to a (#11) BYOV (bring your own vodka) Russian restaurant. I went (#12) to the drag races in Sonoma and then the finals in Pomona. There were many others as well, and I am still mostly “learning something new every day” as my parents used to tell me I should do!
|A Day at the Drag Races|
7. Spend less money than last year — Done. As
of the end of Q2, I spent 26% less than last year. However, after Q3, after buying a lot of new backpacking gear and doing the bulk of my yearly traveling, I sunk to only 11% less than last year. At the end of the year, I ended up spending 10% less than last year.
8. Complete my yard project — Mostly done. My goal was to switch out the grass in the front yard for rocks and drought resistant plants. This was done. I also wanted to update the front yard sprinkler system. This was partially done In
the back, my goal was to reorganize the raised beds, reorganize the drip system, set up a leveled patio area in the back corner, and put down flagstone on the patio. This was all done. However, I am not really satisfied with the setting of the flagstones, and so this will be 2018 redo. So, I will say that this was done.
9. Complete my wall art / photo project — Done. I finally got my act together and printed out some photos for the over-the-couch wall. The problem is that I can never choose which photo to put up. However, I finally decided to just put something up and if I didn’t like it, I could change it later. I also ordered some more canvas prints from a Groupon and so now I have a few more prints around the rest of the house as well.
Out of 9 goals, I really only missed one of them, so I call that a good year!
How did you do with your 2017 goals? What new things did you try this year?